The University of Hamburg in Germany is welcoming applications from international students for its merit scholarship program. Students of all nationalities who are non-German citizens are welcome to apply the Hamburg merit scholarships
With its merit scholarship program, Universität Hamburg supports outstanding international students and doctoral researchers in all subjects and at all degree levels who have been socially committed and actively involved in an international context. The awarding of a merit scholarship allows recipients to concentrate fully on their studies and gives them the opportunity to develop their skills.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): University of Hamburg, Germany
Scholarship Type: Merit Awards
Host Institution(s): University of Hamburg, Germany
Scholarship Worth: See Benefits (below)
Number of Awards: Not Stated
Study Level: All degree levels
Nationality: All Nationalities
Eligibility Criteria | Universität Hamburg Germany Merit Scholarships
You are entitled to funding if you
- have been enrolled in your subject at Universität Hamburg for at least 2 semesters and are pursuing a degree (students in 2-year master’s degree programs and doctoral researchers can apply after 1 completed semester);
- do not hold German citizenship;
- are not eligible for the federal student loan scheme.
- The maximum monthly funding sum is €850. Depending on the availability of funding, individual doctoral researchers may be awarded a merit scholarship totaling €1,000 per month (roughly 2–3 merit scholarships are awarded per round).
- Merit scholarships are awarded for 2 semesters (total of 12 months). You can reapply for a scholarship. In well-founded exceptional cases, the maximum funding period is 3 years.
- How to Apply: The first step to applying for the Hamburg Merits scholarships is to enrol for a degree program of the university. Then apply for scholarships based on deadlines by following the link for your chosen application period (you will be required to log in using your STiNE ID):
You will then be invited to register and to complete your application.
- Application Documents: You must upload the following documents to the online application portal:
- letter of motivation: please use this form (PDF)
- proof of social and/or intercultural activities (if aplicable)
- record of achievements: STiNE printout or list of course certificates. Master’s students and doctoral researchers submit their final certificate.
- evaluations from 2 professors or junior professors at Universität Hamburg. In justified cases, other teaching staff at Universität Hamburg can also prepare evaluations.
Application Deadline: April 15 and October 15
Visit the Official Website for Further Details