Applications are now open for the United Nation University UNU-IAS Master of Science in Sustainability Scholarship programme 2022. The MSc in Sustainability scholarship awards are available for Masters students seeking for an enrolment in the University as new intake.
The award of the scholarships is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU-IAS Master of Science in Sustainability programme can be considered as candidates for the scholarships.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): UNU-IAS, Japan
Scholarship Type: Academic Award
Host Institution(s): UNU-IAS, Japan
Scholarship Worth: Monthly allowance of (120,000 – 140,000) JPY
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Masters
Nationality: International Students
The United Nation University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability UNU awards several scholarships through:
- Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU): The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
- UNU Rector’s Scholarship: The UNU Rector’s scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, will be covered by the scholarship. The tuition fees are covered by the donor for the scholarship recipients.
- Resona Bank Scholarship: The Resona Bank scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, will be covered by the scholarship (up to JPY 260,000). The tuition fees are covered by the donor for the scholarship recipients.
- Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP): Full tuition, subsistence allowance including housing allowance, medical and accident insurance, books, and instrumental allowance will be covered by the scholarship. The monthly subsistence allowance including housing allowance for one person for the academic year 2020 is JPY 147,000 (subject to change for the academic year 2021). An economy class airfare will also be provided for the most direct route between the scholar’s home country and Tokyo Narita International Airport.
To be eligible for United Nations University Sustainability Scholarship, candidates are expected to meet the following condition:
- A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record
- Applicants must be persons from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship
- Applicants who want to pursue a second master’s degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship
- Not a recipient of other concurrent scholarships
- Applicants who demonstrated interest in the broader work of the United Nations
- At least two years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application.
- Oral and written English communication skills sufficient to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
How-to-Apply: Application for the United Nations University MSc Sustainability Scholarships is done as a part of the online application for admission. There is no separate application form for the scholarships
Interested applicants must provide necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the master’s degree programme.