Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022/2023: Applications are welcomed from qualified candidates for the Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022-2023. The program provides opportunity for university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in the fields of expertise in the United States.
The Fulbright Scholar Program is a fully-funded grant that will enable successful applicants to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at their home institution.
The Fulbright Research Scholar program will afford the successful scholar the opportunity to perform research in their respective fields of endeavors at a U.S. educational or research institutions for a period of three to nine months.
The applicants will have an opportunity to also apply for the Fulbright-Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award, funded by the Halle Institute for Global Research where chairholders spend up to four months at Emory University, hosted by appropriate departments and programs.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program)
- Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in English to carry out their projects and collaborate effectively with colleagues.
- Applicants must be in good health. Successful candidates will be asked to submit a Medical History and Examination Report.
- Academic excellence
- Clearly written study objectives
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities
- Evidence of leadership potential
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning
Fully funded awards generally cover the following, but can vary according to each grantee’s program:
- Monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site
- Monthly dependent allowance for accompanying dependents
- Round trip airfare for the grantee
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an eight-to nine-month grant.
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel.
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee
- Settling in allowance upon arrival in the U.S.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022-2023 are to apply online before the application deadline.