The 2022-23 application cycle for Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme is now open and will run from 1 January 2022 to 31 March 2022. During this time period, application forms can be obtained from the Aga Khan Foundation or Aga Khan Education Board/Service office in the applicant’s country of current residence.
The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from select developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies, in order to develop effective scholars and leaders and to prepare them for employment, primarily within the AKDN.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Aga Khan Foundation.
Host Institution(s): Abroad and in applicant’s country
Scholarship Type: Education support.
Study Level: postgraduate
Scholarship Worth: 50% grant and 50% loan.
Nationality: Developing countries
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship 2022/23 | ELIGIBILITY
- Geographic Scope: The Foundation accepts applications from nationals of the following countries: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique. In France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above developing countries, are interested in development-related studies and who have no other means of financing their education.
- Residency Requirement: The Foundation only accepts applications of eligible nationals listed above who are residing in one of the countries where there are local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) offices which process applications and interview candidates.
- Age Limit: Preference is given to students under 30 years of age.
The Award Details
- Financial Assistance: The Foundation assists students with tuition fees and living expenses only. The cost of travel is not included in AKF scholarships. Financial assistance is provided according to the needs of students, but the ISP must be considered a lender of last resort.
- Loan Conditions: Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%. A guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement. The payback period is five years, starting six months after the study period funded by the Aga Khan Foundation.
How-to-Apply: The application procedures of AKF’s International Scholarship Programme are decentralised. Students may obtain application forms as from 1st January each year from AKF offices or Aga Khan Education Services / Boards in their countries of current residence. Completed applications should be returned to the agency from which the form was obtained. They should not be sent to Geneva.
Application Deadline: 31 March, 2022 (some country deadlines may vary).