The 2022 UN/DESA Italian JPO Programme edition is now open for application. Candidates from Developing Countries and Italy are welcomed to apply to participate in the Junior Professional Officer programme before the December deadline.
Its work is guided by the universal and transformative 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, along with a set of 17 integrated Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 associated targets adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 25 September 2015. The UN/DESA Office in Italy promotes and coordinates several important development cooperation initiatives – in particular in the area of human resources development – within the framework of UN/DESA’s mandate, liaising accordingly with Italian and European institutions, civil society organizations and the business sector.-
UN/DESA Italian JPO Programme | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
For the current edition, a limited number of positions will be assigned to candidates from developing countries (Least Developed Countries and priority Countries for the Italian Development Cooperation). These candidates must meet all of the following requirements to be considered eligible for the programme.
- born on or after 1 January 1990 (1 January 1989 for graduates in Medicine; 1 January 1987 for graduates in Medicine who have already been awarded a post-graduate medical specialization degree)
- Eligible Developing Countries: hold the passport of one of the following UN Member States or non-Member Observer States: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Pakistan, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, State of Palestine, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.
- fluency in English (knowledge of Italian will be considered an asset)
- hold one of the following advanced university degrees (or degree combinations), awarded before the application deadline:
- Laurea Magistrale/Specialistica.
- Laurea Magistrale a ciclo unico.
- Laurea/LaureaTriennale plus university Master’s degree.
- Bachelor’s degree plus university Master’s degree.
Fields of expertise:
The level of training, specialization and prior professional experience expected of Junior Professional Officers may vary from year to year according to the specific requests from the recipient organizations. Fields of expertise include – but are not limited to – the following areas:
- political affairs, peacekeeping and peacebuilding; humanitarian affairs, resettlements and refugees;
- sustainable development, including water and sanitation, environmental and climate change issues; migration and development;
- economic development, including public finance, public management, microcredit, etc.;
- social development, including social protection, indigenous issues, disabilities issues, gender issues, etc.;
- public administration, governance, and local development; statistics, demography and data management; international law; rule of law and electoral issues; children’s rights; food security and safety,
- agricultural development and livestock management;
- urban development; world heritage preservation, culture and education;
- information and communication technology for development; communications for development;
- private sector and industry development; logistics, supply chain management and project management.
How-to-Apply: Applications for the UN/DESA Italian JPO Programme can only be submitted online through the Online Web Application (OWA) of the UN/DESA Office. Before starting the application process, please read ALL documents concerning the JPO Programme and its eligibility criteria in addition to the ones listed above.
Application Deadline: 30 December 2021