Mandela Washington Fellowship 2021/2022: The U.S. Department of State and IREX is pleased to announce the Mandela Washington Fellowship Program 2021/2022 to participate in a six-week Leadership Institute at a U.S. college or university to share your experiences with and learn from U.S. citizens and other Fellows.
The Fellowship is the flagship program of the United State Government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). The fellowship has over the years brought several young leaders from every country in Sub-Saharan Africa to the United States for academic and leadership training.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): U.S. Government and IREX
Host Institution(s): Not specified
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: All study levels
Duration: 6 weeks
Recommended: World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program 2022
Mandela Washington Fellowship 2021/2022 | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be considered for the Fellowship, interested candidates are to meet the following requirements:
- Are between the ages of 25 and 35 on or before the application deadline, although exceptional applicants ages 21-24 will be considered;
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Are eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa;
- Are not employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government (including a U.S. embassy or consulate, USAID, or other U.S. Government entity);
- Are proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English (additional guidance coming for applicants who are deaf);
- Are citizens of one of the following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, or Zimbabwe;
- Are residents of one of the above countries; and
- Are not Alumni of the Mandela Washington Fellowship.
See Also: Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship 2021 for African Students (Fully-Funded)
How-to-Apply: Interested and eligible applicants for the Mandela Washington Fellowship Program 2021/2022 are to apply online before the application deadline. Applicants with any question are to contact the Fellowship Team at MWFellowship@irex.org.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2021