The Southern African states are prominently among the over 22 designated Rhodes constituencies awarded Rhodes Scholarships. Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates from the Southern African states for an opportunity to study in the United Kingdom through this prestigious scholarship program.
This application guide contains only constituency-specific information on Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford for applicants from South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and eSwatini.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Rhodes Trust
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships
Host Institution(s): University of Oxford, UK
Scholarship Worth: Fees + £15,900 per annum stipend
Number of Awards: Please see details section (below).
Study Level: Postgraduate
Nationality: Southern African States.
Also Check: Rhodes Global Scholarships to Study in UK 2021/2022
The Rhodes Scholarships Southern Africa | DETAILS
The Scholarships for these countries are administered from a regional secretariat based in Johannesburg. There are:
- four Scholarships every year for applicants from South Africa-at-Large,
- one for applicants from KwaZulu-Natal,
- one for an applicant from one of: Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and eSwatini, and
- one each for applicants of or from Diocesan College, Rondebosch; South African College School, Newlands; Paul Roos Gymnasium, Stellenbosch; and St Andrew’s College, Grahamstown (including their identified partner schools, which are listed here).
- Nationality/citizenship: You must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or eSwatini. Applications from refugees/asylum seekers in South Africa will also be considered in this constituency.
- Education/residency: You must have resided for at least five years within the period of ten years immediately preceding your application in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or eSwatini
- Age: Upon 1 October 2021, you must be at least 19 and have not reached your 25th birthday (Age requirement varies depending on your course of study or condition of your graduation)
- Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by 30 June 2022) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) to a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. In this respect, please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
- How-to-Apply: You can apply online from 01 June 2021 via the scholarships tab.
- You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) on the application closing date
- Useful Links: Please Read Carefully;
- Information for Candidates – Southern Africa
- Guidance for Referees – Southern Africa
- Courses covered by the Rhodes Scholarship
Application Deadline: 15 September 2021.