Applications are invited for the Doctors Without Borders (MSF) Digital Communications Internship 2021 for Graduate South Africans
Application Deadline: 21st June 2021
About the Award: Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is a global network of principled medical and other professionals working in teams, small and large, to respond to the medical needs of people affected by conflict, disasters, and epidemics and those excluded from healthcare. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of impartiality, independence, and neutrality.
We are: Medical. Principled. Practical. Professional. Human.
BACKGROUND: THE COMMUNICATION DEPARTMENT
MSF Southern Africa’s Communication Department raises awareness about medical humanitarian issues, MSF’s values, and international work among the South African society to mobilise influence and resources (advocacy, fundraising, and fieldworker recruitment) for MSF’s work.
BACKGROUND: THE DIGITAL TEAM
The MSF SA Digital Team plans, executes, and actively manages online communication content, digital campaigns, social media, and fundraising initiatives.
We make data-driven decisions about which messages to share and where/when to share them. We are always looking for new ways to engage with the audiences online and inspire them to act. We actively monitor and constantly vary our digital activities to best connect with our audiences.
Our objectives are to raise awareness about the organisation and its activities, inspire South Africans to donate, and assist with the recruitment of medical and support staff to work internationally in MSF projects.
The Digital Communications Intern will provide administrative, writing, editing, graphic design, reporting, and research support to the Communications team of MSF South Africa.
She/he will develop skills and knowledge in the following area:
- Time management skills
- Website management skills
- Community Management skills
- Social Media Monitoring and Reporting
- Understand how content works on digital platforms
- Analytical skills
- Adobe Creative Suite Skills
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Update content on the MSF Southern Africa website: msforg.za
- Edit identified articles by ensuring that they are correctly tagged and quality images are used.
- Optimising content on the website for improved user experience
– Ensure relevant content is hyperlinked in order to improve Google search ranking and SEO
– Ensure the layout is consistent for all articles.
- Work with the Social Media Officer to help build and manage MSF South Africa’s online communities.
- Monitor and respond to social media trends observed in a proactive fashion.
- Measure and report social media activities.
- a) Acquisition and Content Validity
Working with the Social Media officer, regularly update the community management strategy.
- Update the community management documents during this period with any concerning comments or questions.
- Categorise the queries and responses
- Using listening tools
- Put MSF SA’s audiences first with an effective social customer care strategy. Work with the Social Media Officer to nurture our communities.
Monitor brand mentions and spot patterns in mentions. Identify who mentioned a given keyword or query most frequently to find influential community members interacting with our pages and leverage their voices, identify an opportunity to engage.
- Focus on keywords that are relevant to MSF and monitor brand mentions across Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Monitor hashtags, fan/follower posts on MSF pages. Respond to queries/comments as quickly as possible. Work with the team to efficiently answer comments as they come in.
- b) Crisis Management
Support the implementation of the social media crisis management strategy.
Perform other tasks as requested by the social media officer and other team members.
Follow MSF operations to support communications activities
Closely follow developments in MSF operations by reading regular operational updates.
- Studies in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or similar field.
- Good working knowledge of social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Experience in managing social media accounts and interest in developing online communication & marketing tactics.
- A strong interest in humanitarian issues.
- Creative and flexible approach to work, and ability to work well within a team.
- Proficiency in English, written and orally
- Experience balancing short-term and long-term responsibilities and working quickly when necessary, and working in high-pressure and/or breaking-news situations
- A desire to work collaboratively on projects and teach others what you know
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team and interdepartmentally
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to carry out different tasks simultaneously and to prioritise time and resources accordingly whilst maintaining an overview of all activity
- Interest in humanitarian work
- Determined, committed and desire to learn
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be Taken at: Based in Johannesburg
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award:
- Resources needed such as working space, computer, internet, stationery and other resources will be made available
- The intern will be contracted as an intern and will receive monthly stipend.
- Transport Allowance
Duration of Award:
- Length of commitment: 12 months
- Estimated total hours: 40 hours/week (five days/week)
- Starting date: 7 July 2021
How to Apply: To apply click here
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.